Monday, May 16, 2011

YouTube

In the past, I've watched a few of the more popular videos promoted through the news, talk shows etc., but had never really spent much time on the YouTube site. I was amazed at all the different videos available. While searching under the heading "Library" I found everything from Library Virtual tours,and instructional videos on how to renew your items online to hip hop dance routines with library carts at a TLA function to a Mr. Bean at the Library episode....quite the broad spectrum.

At our own library I know that we have used YouTube to allow teens to submit their entries for the StoryTelling Festival, and I also found videos on our 2010 Year in Review and How to Download our Digital material.

I think YouTube is a great resource, but we really need to educate our patrons as to what's available and they can best use it. One step towards doing this is a "5 Things" session that Adult Services is going to be holding during the Summer Reading Program this year. I'm not sure if they've decided on which 5 they are going to feature, but I think it's the first step in a continuing program that will help our patrons get used to technology and how they can use it in their daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment