Sunday, May 15, 2011

Google Docs and Cloud Computing

We currently use Google Docs in Adult Services at the FPL to share the schedule. It's great, because no matter where you are, you can log into a computer and find out when you're supposed to be at work. It used to be that all team members had access and could edit the schedule, but this became to difficult to manage, so now only two team members are able to make changes to the schedule, but we can all view it.

I'm currently doing some lead generation for a software company and we are planning to hold a webinar in the next couple of weeks. I've been tasked with creating the invite. I originally created the document and sent as an attachment in an email to my boss for review. He made some changes, added some graphics, and then sent it back to me as a jpg file. Now I cannot make any changes to it and there are a few items that need to be deleted.

Had I loaded it into Google Docs originally and shared it with him, then we both could have made changes until we arrived at a product that worked for both of us.

I will have a chat with him on Monday and see if we can't get the latest version into Google docs so we can work on it together.

I think this is a valuable tool as it's easily managed and doesn't take up space on your hard drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment