Friday, May 13, 2011

I'M Talking about IM

While working as a Resource Manager for a consulting company, I used to be connected to instant messaging (IM) all day, everyday. It was great in the beginning, as everytime I needed to reach out to a consultant (usually urgently) it was often an easy way to reach them.

But, as I soon discovered, it also worked the other way around and people also had easy access to me too. Given that there was only one of me, and 50 or more of them, I found I was constantly being "pinged" for one reason or another. It became very distracting. So, I ended up having to sign in and out periodically on an as needed basis and that worked much better.

I haven't had the opportunity to use the "Communicator" system at the Library very much, but I have been contacted a few times. I still need to figure out the colored dots and what they actually mean. It's definitely a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment